I talk about the many speed bumps of moving to and living in rural Australia and how frustrated I am with the internet services (which is why my podcast episodes are so out of whack right now).
This is just a little message to tell you that the next episode of TIP is again delayed until next Friday because I still don’t have the internet at home.
It was supposed to be connected a few days before I moved in but guess what? It wasn’t.
It wasn’t connected correctly so there’s a technician or installer or whatever coming next week. Maybe I will have it next Friday. Maybe not.
I’ve already gone over my mobile data limit so now we just have to wait.
Thanks, TPG. Thanks, NBNco. You’re the best.
After a slight delay, I am back from my podcasting silence. In this episode, I talk briefly about my trip to Kerala, India.
Donations to Help Kerala Recover From Flooding
At the end of the episode, I talk about how the flooding is affecting Kerala and ask you to donate towards the reconstruction of the state following the floods. If you donate, please let me know by contacting me.
- Government of Kerala: Chief Minister’s Distress Relief Fund
- Akshaya Patra – Donate to Kerala Flood Relief
- Times Now News Donations
- Donate (Facebook)
Random Video and Photos
Hi, anybody who reads this.
In case you’ve missed my last few podcast episodes, you would know that once I left India, I had to come back home and start packing so I can move. I’m having really crazy feelings about moving far away from Melbourne, so my mind hasn’t been in a really focused environment for writing or recording new podcast episodes. (They are coming.)
So, I haven’t done much of anything. I haven’t even really documented my trip in India like I had hoped to do. My mind was pretty much occupied with moving to a place that, at the time, I had never been to.
As I type this, I have been to the place I’m moving to and it’s really quiet. It’s too quiet. It worries me a little bit, but at least it will be good for me to focus on my main career. Also, there’s a week-long gap where I won’t have electricity so I’ll be hanging around in Melbourne a bit. (Something that I hate about this country. Somehow it takes them 2-3 weeks to come and flip a switch, but we just got approved for the place the other day too.) There’s no telling when the internet is going to be connected either.
I’m also going to be computer-less starting Wednesday because my MacBook Pro decided to bite the dust while I was in India. (Hard drive went out. Hard drives and I don’t get along very well.)
Yeah, things haven’t been too pleasant around here.
So, I’m delaying some of my planned podcast episodes a week or two. I’m still planning to do them. I’m still a bit amped to do it, so that’s good. It’s just hard finding the time because I need to have privacy to do these things since my partner isn’t at work and calls me every 5 minutes to do things.
UPDATED: Recorded and posted a new episode. Enjoy!
If you want a glimpse of what’s coming up, check the episode guide.
Note: This is the last episode I can post for about a month. I will be back in mid-August with another episode.
This was supposed to be a short episode letting you know that I won’t be releasing podcast episodes for about a month (but will probably be recording bits and pieces as a proper journal thing). I also talk about my lack of plans, conversations with the mother-in-law, being mean to myself, and again, anxiousness. (I’m an anxious person, damn it!)
Feel like subscribin’? Go to this page and look at the huge buttons!
I talk about married life, a little about my sex life, and going overseas… still anxious.
To subscribe, look at the bottom of this page.
EDIT: I did manage to finish recording #7: Brave New World today and updated the feed.
As you might have guessed, it’s been a really busy week for me and I haven’t been able to record new podcast episodes like I expected. That’s a bit sad because I have a lot to say right now, but I haven’t had much private time to record. I’m really self-conscious about stuff like that for some reason.
Also, I don’t believe that I will be able to post any new episodes while I am overseas either. I might be wrong, but I thought I could walk around and record every so often, then once I get back, stitch them all together. I know I’ll have a lot to say, being thrown into a totally different place and culture.
I kinda just don’t want people to think I’m already heading down the road to Abandonville yet. I’m still interested and still want to record stuff. It’s just a little hard when you aren’t getting much alone time or can’t seem to fit everything into the day.
You can always check what’s coming up as far as podcast episodes go on the guide. As I’ve said, I’m not planning to upload any new podcast episodes until I get back. And when I do get back, I’m going to be in packing mode since I need to move soon. Hopefully I can balance this all out!
That’s the short little update for now. I’m still around and I have a lot to say! I’ll be back with a new episode as soon as I can record.
(EDIT: I managed to get #7 posted. You can see it here.)
I talk even more about my marriage a week from when this episode was recorded (note: the actual date it’s happening is 7/7), my podcasting commitments while I am in India, why I have to move across the state after I come back to Australia, and my awful GI tract. (I’m still trying to process a lot of different things. Recording this will help me refocus my mind on things.)
To subscribe, look at the bottom of this page.
I talk about the passage of time and how it’s been affecting me. I reflect on the things I’ve done whether they’re good or bad. I talk a little bit about how I fear that passage of time and how it affects me.
You didn’t miss episode 4. It was absorbed into #3.
I also posted this episode a few days early. 🙂 Enjoy.
The New Episode Player
I looked around to see whether I could find a good audio player for my website that works on desktops and mobile phones and couldn’t find anything that looked really good. Then I remembered that I have enough skills to build this sort of thing myself, so that’s what I’ve done. I hammered everything out in a bit less than a day. It’s very colourful and it works alongside existing technology. It’s not riddled with code that runs to slow things down, to spy on you, or anything like that. It’s simple, straight to the point, and it works.
Here’s a look at it. You’re looking at the embeddable versions that I’ll be posting to my web post starting next time. The little widget below will always show the very latest podcast episode.
As I’ve said, it was cobbled together in less than a day, and there are a few things I would have liked to add, but haven’t, yet.
What Does It Do?
- Listen to TIP while you browse. Listen to me blab while you check your mail, while you look at pictures of food, cats, or porn, while you work really hard for money to pay your bills. It’s really handy for people who don’t touch iTunes if they don’t have to (like me).
- Download the files when your browser doesn’t give you an option. Some browsers, such as Vivaldi and Brave, give you an easy-to-use download option right on the audio player. Unfortunately, some don’t, so I’ve added a download building.
- Works on all the new fancy browsers. I’ve tested it on the many browsers I like to use. It works out really nicely. You can listen to it using your phone, your laptop, your gaming console, pretty much any browser that supports HTML5.
- Almost easy feedback. Links are provided for quick commenting and reading the web blog post for the episode. You won’t see it on the widget above, but there are two other buttons that do this.
What It Doesn’t Do Yet
- It doesn’t show information that’s found on the feeds, such as what the episode is about. Basically, all that stuff is still read by iTunes, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or anything else you have reading my feeds. It’s totally separate from everything else. We’ll get there and we’ll find a place to put it so that we don’t clutter up your device.
- No going forward to the next episode. I really can’t see how anybody would want to listen to someone talk longer than 45-60 minutes, but if that’s your thing, I’m going to make a player for multiple episodes.
- It doesn’t give reach-arounds. No instant pleasure. Sorry.
What Will It Do?
- Autoplay options. Nothing upsets me more than to click on something and be bombarded by sound (especially like my current podcast intro). Autoplay is enabled at the moment, but I’ll add an option for you turn that off using cookies.
- Even easier feedback. Links are great, but I’d like to see something built in but I’m going to have to integrate it with WordPress to do that.
The Idiologic Podcast Episode Guide
It’s like an electronic magazine that no one asked for. Not really. Let me explain:
Have you cared enough yet to know what’s coming up? Or perhaps you’re just curious about what’s already happened and want to catch up on a few things? The episode guide is pretty great for that. I started designing it earlier than everything else, so it’s not really looking too nice at the moment, but it works and it does what it’s supposed to do. The new player and the guide work perfectly together.
It gives you quick access to the things that the player does, but it’s like a huge list of episodes. OK, so it’s not so huge yet, but maybe it’ll get there, right?
What’s nice about the guide is that it shows you what I’m planning for future episodes, you know, approximate dates of recordings and postings. There are a few things you can do with it:
- The very latest and greatest
- Upcoming podcast episodes
- Latest introductory episode (Don’t know shit about me? Try this link.)
This product isn’t really finished, but as I said, it does its job (mostly).
I’d be lying if I wasn’t getting something out of it. If you download, install, and use it, I get a few Basic Attention Tokens which is like a cryptocurrency that I can give to Brave-verified websites that I visit. I am Brave-verified as well, so if you throw me a token, I’d be quite a bit grateful for it. I think it’s a really great way to help support the sites and people I like!
The Brave browser is a good browser. Seriously, I don’t get a thing for talking nicely about it, but it’s the browser I am using right now. One of the things I want to do in the future is to disable the ads and mentions of the Brave browser if you already use it. Plus, you’ll get some extra goodies too if you send me a screenshot of you supporting me with the browser. Sounds good?
Just let me know if you do!